Been In An Accident: 4 Items You Need To Provide To Your Attorney

4 August 2019
 Categories: Law, Blog


If you've been injured in an accident and you've hired an attorney, you need to prepare for your initial correspondence. That first visit with your attorney will set the stage for your entire personal injury claim. It's important that you arrive for your appointment with all the documents you'll need to paint a clear picture for your attorney. In addition to the accident report, here are four items you need to bring to that first meeting with your attorney.

Insurance Company Correspondence

If you've been in an accident, it's likely that you've received some correspondence with the insurance company. In fact, you could be receiving correspondence from multiple insurance companies—your insurance company and the insurance company that represents the responsible party. You'll need to bring all insurance company correspondence with you to your initial consultation. Your attorney will need to see what each of the insurance companies are attempting to discuss with you.

Current Medical Records Relating to Accident

If you're seeking medical care for your injuries, you'll need to bring copies of your current medical records. Your attorney will need to see all the documents that relate to the injuries you sustained in the accident. If you're receiving care from multiple health care providers—including physical therapists or chiropractors—bring records from each of those providers. Those records will be used to determine the extent of your accident-related damages.

Receipts Relating to Accident Expenditures

If you've been paying out-of-pocket for any of your accident-related expenditures, bring copies of those receipts. Your attorney will need evidence of your out-of-pocket expenses to ensure that you're reimbursed for the money you've spent on your own care. If you haven't started keeping copies of your receipts, start that right now. Not only that, but if you've paid cash for doctors appointments, ask your providers for copies of those receipts.

Payroll Records From Your Employer

If you've missed work as a result of your accident, have your employer provide you with copies of your payroll records. You'll need to provide that documentation to your personal injury attorney. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your lost income. However, your attorney will need documentation regarding your pre-accident wages. Your payroll records will help show what you were earning prior to the accident. If you're self-employed, but no longer able to function in that capacity due to your injuries, provide copies of your previous years tax returns.

For more information, contact a personal injury attorney near you.